Amber Liu is a Taiwanese-American kpop solo singer assigned under Steel Wool Entertainment. She made her debut with the South Korean girl group f(x) in 2009. She later launched her solo career in 2015 with the extended play titled “Beautiful”.
Stage Name: Amber Liu
Birth Name: Amber Josephine Liu
Occupation: Singer, Rapper, Songwriter
Birthday: September 18, 1992
Age: 31 (in 2023)
Active Years: 15
Zodiac Sign: Virgo
Height: 165cm (5’6)
Weight: 56kg (123 lbs)
Blood Type: B
Amber Liu Facts:
- Amber Liu was born in Los Angeles, United States.
- She holds Taiwanese-American nationality.
- She attended El Camino Real High School.
- Her Taiwanese name is Liu Yi Yun (刘逸云).
- She also has a Korean name called, Yoo Eun Young (유은영).
- As a student, she worked as a cashier at the school supply store.
- Amber Liu said that she didn’t have a childhood due to her early start in her career and is trying to have it now.
- Amber Liu currently lives in her hometown Los Angeles, United States.
- She loves to read, play basketball, surf the internet, travel, do photography, and learn new things.
- She has an older sister named Jackie Liu.
- She has a pet dog named Jack-Jack.
- She likes to eat Ddeukbokki and mangoes.
- Her religion is Christianity.
- Krystal was her first friend during her trainee years because she was the only one who could speak English.
- She wears a tomboy look and has an androgynous style.
- She can fluently speak Mandarin, English, and Korean.
- She has loved rapping since she was young.
- Her favorite color is Red.
- 9 and 22 are her favorite numbers.
- Amber Liu can’t physically touch mangoes because of her allergy, but she likes to eat them.
- Amber Liu currently holds a black belt in Taekwondo.
- Her current celebrity crushes are Tori Kelly, Hikaru Utada, and Chris Evans.
- Her first celebrity crush was Orlando Bloom.
- She said that she and Luna never get in conflict or fight with each other.
- She has a lot of celebrity friends, and she is best friends with Min (miss A), Hyoyeon (SNSD), Nicole Jung (Kara), and Ailee.
- The first phone she had was a Nokia.
- She doesn’t like being lonely and living alone.
- She doesn’t like and avoids being the center of attention.
- The first shows she binged were anime, including Full Metal Alchemist, Naruto, and Bleach.
- She hates waking up in the morning and likes to go back to sleep as soon as she wakes up.
- She revealed that her sister Jackie speaks fluent Chinese, and she is her personal hero.
- She got her musical inspiration from Simba, The Lion King, and her mother.
- Amber Liu admits to getting bored quickly and doesn’t like linking arms.
- She supports the LGBT community.
- She can play the guitar and drums.
- Her ideal type is a guy who looks cool but cute when he smiles.
- She is a fan of Legend of Korra and Avatar.
- She said that many people assume she is a man in America, and they point her to the men’s bathroom when she asks for directions.
- While filming “Real Man,” she met her ideal type but lost interest when she found out he was younger than her.
- She doesn’t like dating people younger than her.
- She used to light things on fire and once burned a carpet while playing with fire.
- She loves and is addicted to boba tea.
- She calls Ten from NCT, her son.
- She is good friends with Johnny from NCT and calls him her “little brother.”
- In May 2021, in a series of tweets, Amber Liu revealed that she had been struggling with depression and anxiety for many years and felt disconnected from everyone.
- She also spreads awareness and emphasizes the importance of taking mental health seriously.
- Her music career began at the age of 16 when she gave her audition at the 2008 global auditions held in her hometown and got selected as a trainee by SM Entertainment.
- For her 2007 audition at the S.M. global audition in Los Angles, she sang “Oh Heart, Please Stop Now” by MC. Max and “Left Heart” by K. Will.
- She was a trainee for two years before debuting as a lead rapper with the girl group f(x) in 2009.
- Liu wrote hit songs like ‘Goodbye Summer’ and ‘Summer Lover’ for the group’s albums’ Pink Tape’ and ‘Red Light.’
- She has also written “Beautiful Stranger” for her group’s album “Electric Shock” in 2012 and also wrote lyrics in 2016 for three songs, “On My Own,” ‘Need to Feel Needed,’ and ‘Breathe Again’. She appeared in the English and Korean music videos for all three songs.
- Amber was on the show “Real Class Elementary School” with other K-pop idols.
- Amber ended her contract with SM and didn’t renew it. Now she’s a full-time artist at Steel Wool Entertainment in the U.S., where she was previously signed only for her international/American promotions.
- During her F(x) days, she was a roommate with her band member Victoria.
- They released four studio albums during the seven years with f(x).
- F(x) came into hiatus as Amber Liu and the other members launched their solo careers.
- She made her solo debut on February 13, 2015, releasing her song “Beautiful.”
- She makes music in the K-pop and R&B EDM genres.
- After going solo, she records most of her songs in English.
- She signed under Steel Wool Entertainment to further manage her American activities while still being under SM Entertainment, and in 2019 she exclusively came under Steel Wool Entertainment before releasing her extended play X in 2020.
- The first member that stood out to Amber was Luna because of her voice.
- Amber’s title track, “Shake That Brass,” featured Girls’ Generation’s Taeyeon.
- On April 15, 2018, she released her first mixtape as a solo in English called “Rogue Rouge”.
- She directed the music video for Tia Cuevas’ debut single “No More” and featured in SUPERFRUIT’s song “Fantasy.”
- Amber Liu currently boasts over 5 million followers on Instagram.
- Fans call her by the nickname “Llama” and “Amber”.
Hosting and TV Career
- As a regular cast member, Liu appeared in 18 episodes of the South Korean variety show ‘Invincible Youth’ from 2011 to 2012.
- She hosted the South Korean music TV program ‘Show Champion in 2013.
- Amber Liu hosted the South Korean TV variety show ‘We Got Married Global Edition’ and was a regular cast member in ‘Ailee & Amber One Fine Day’ in 2014.
- She has also hosted two TV programs: ‘A Song For You 3’ and ‘Song For You 4’ from 2014 and 2015.
- In 2015, Liu appeared on two other South Korean TV shows: ‘Real Men’ and ‘Top Fly 2015’.
- She was a panelist in the South Korean Variety show ‘We Got Married’.
- She was featured in the South Korean series ‘Entourage’ and played the character of ‘Joey Jung’.
- Her popular songs include Easier, Neon, Alright, Bad Decisions, and Make it Better.
- Amber Liu was nominated for the ‘Best Dance Performance’ award at the ‘Mnet Asian Music Award’ in 2015 for her song ‘Shake That Brass.’
- For her work in ‘Real Men’, she won the ‘Best Female Newcomer Award’ at the ‘MBC Entertainment Awards.
- She is also great friends with Jackson and JB (GOT 7), Benji (B.I.G), Peniel (BTOB), Shannon, Henry (Super Junior), all of SHINee’s members, Miss A’s Jia, Taehyung (BTS), Taeyeon and Yoona (SNSD), Eric Nam and Ten (NCT).
- She is also close with the Day 6 members and Kevin (a former member of U-Kiss).
SOCIAL MEDIA HANDLES