DEAN (딘) is a South Korean R&B singer, record producer, and songwriter Universal Music Korea. He debuted solo on March 24, 2016, with the EP “130 Mood: TRBL”.
|Stage Name||DEAN (딘)|
|Birth Name||Hyuk Kwon (권혁)|
|Birthday||November 10, 1992|
|Age||30 years old (in 2023)|
– DEAN is known as the R&B prince of Asia and is associated with Joombas Co Ltd. and Universal.
– He was born and raised in Hongeun-dong, Seoul.
– When his parents discovered his musical interest, they supported his decision to become a singer.
– DEAN has a good fashion sense although he admits to being shy about speaking it due to a lack of confidence.
– He is a Christian.
– He was already writing tracks for K-pop stars under the name “Deanfluenza” when he was 18 years old.
– DEAN made his debut in the United States in July 2015 with the single “I’m Not Sorry,” featuring Grammy winner Eric Bellinger.
– He started singing during his high school years and viewed music as an escape from studying rather than a potential career.
– DEAN collaborated with other popular Korean hip-hop artists such as Zion.T, Crush, Junggigo (on the single “247”), LOCO (on “Too Much”), Suran (on “1+1=0”), Dok2 (on “I Love It”), and Dynamic Duo (on “How You Doin’?”).
– He has received credits for various popular songs, including EXO‘s “Black Pearl” and VIXX’s “Voodoo Doll.”
– At the start, he wrote songs in his room and kept them a secret from his parents.
– DEAN was the first Asian artist to perform at Spotify House during SXSW and shared the stage with popular international artists like Miguel and Chvrches.
– At the age of 16, DEAN started his career as part of a crew, performing alongside Keith Ape, whose single “It G Ma” received over 7.5 million views on YouTube.
– His stage name “Dean” was inspired by actor James Dean, whose rebellious image resonated with him.
– He is also one of the founders of the Club Eskimo crew, which includes popular rap and hip-hop artists like Crush, 2xxx, Millic, Jusen, Punchnello, Chek Parren, Camper, and OFFONOFF: Colde & 0channel.
– In November 2016, he collaborated with Zico and Crush on the single and music video for “Bermuda Triangle.”
– At 20 years old, he received mentorship from Joombas Music Group CEO and producer Hyuk Shin, and joined the songwriting team of the Los Angeles-based company known for their work on songs like EXO’s “Growl” and Justin Bieber’s “One Less Lonely Girl.”
– DEAN enjoys chocolate and jelly.
– He can speak English.
– His debut EP “130 Mood: TRBL” peaked at No. 3 on the Billboard World Albums chart.
– DEAN is often referred to as the “R&B prince of Asia.”
– He collaborated with Mila J on “Here & Now” and Anderson.Paak on “Put My Hands on You” in 2015.
– He also made his Korean debut in 2015, and his second single “Pour Up,” featuring Block B’s rapper Zico, won the Best R&B and Soul Song award at the Korean Music Awards on February 29, 2016.
– DEAN describes his music in three words: raw, rebel, and root.
– In 2016, he collaborated with Girls’ Generation’s Taeyeon for her album “Why” and was featured in the music video for her song “Starlight.”
– Green is his favorite color.
– His ideal type is someone who understands him and appreciates his quirky nature.
– He takes his fashion inspiration from New York runways and street fashion.
– He also appeared as a producer on Two Yoo Project Sugar Man in January and March 2016, arranging songs for iKon and Winner.
– He said that his lips are his most attractive feature.
– In June 2016, he held his debut concert in New York City at the Copacabana, which sold out.
– On November 1, he was featured in a Time report that highlighted K-pop artists aiming to break into the mainstream American market, alongside CL and Eric Nam.
– “Bermuda Triangle” debuted at No. 3 on Billboard’s World Digital Songs chart on December 6, marking his highest position on that chart at the time.
– DEAN likes to eat sushi and pizza.
– Since 2016, he has been a member of the music crew FANXY CHILD, alongside Zico, Crush, Penomeco, and Millic.
– In 2017, he and Zico appeared as one of the producers on the show “Show Me The Money 6”.
– The artists DEAN admires include Kanye West, Miguel, and Donald Glover.
– He has close friendships with Zico and Crush because they all are the same age.
– He released “What 2 Do,” featuring Crush and Filipino-American singer Jeff Bernat in 2016.
– DEAN has been on You Hee-yeol’s Sketchbook, Two You Project – Sugar Man, and Unpretty Rapstar 3.
– He has also been on radio shows like Lee Guk-joo ‘s Young Street Radio, This is Blue Night Jonghyun, Tay’s Dreaming Radio, on a starry night, Lee Hongki’s Kiss the Radio, and Kim Chang-ryeol’s Old School.
– He has advertised for Saucony, KOLON SPORT, WOOBIN, Kakao Pay, Puma, Apple’s iPhone XS, Converse, and Burberry.
– Many people confuse him with fellow rapper DinDin.
– He dislikes bean curd and braised lotus root.
– He notices women’s eyes first since he likes dull sexy brown eyes.
– He resembles Lee Bumsoo’s son, Da-eul.
– The artists that he wants to work with are IU, Hyukoh, and Woo Wonjae.
NOTE: If you know more facts about DEAN, feel free to submit them in the comments section! All submissions will be greatly appreciated!
Most Viewed Song: