Giselle (지젤) is a Japanese-Korean rapper, singer, and a member of the girl group aespa under SM Entertainment.
Giselle (aespa) Profile
|Stage Name||Giselle (지젤)|
|Birth Name||Uchinaga Aeri (うちながえり/우치나가에리)|
|Birthday||October 30, 2000|
|Age||23 (in 2023)|
|Height||163~164 cm (5’4″)|
Giselle (aespa) Facts
– Giselle was born in Garosu-gil, Seoul, South Korea.
– She grew up in Tokyo, Japan.
– She is from Setagaya, Tokyo, Japan.
– She graduated from Seishin International School High School.
– She transfer from Tokyo International School to Sacred Heart School in Japan, which is the same school Rima from NiziU attended.
– When she was young, Giselle had suspicions about the existence of Santa Claus. She left milk and cookies for Santa by her bed and stayed up all night to see if Santa would eat them. However, she saw her mother come in, break the cookies, and put them away as if Santa had eaten them, leading her to realize that the adults did this for them.
– She has a Korean mother and a Japanese father.
– She is close with Jeon Somi and Chaeyeon (IZ*ONE).
– She doesn’t have any siblings.
– She likes a light and natural makeup look. (ELLE KOREA)
– She follows the motto: “Everything happens for a reason”
– She has dust and cats allergy.
– She likes emo style and listening to songs that have an emo vibe. (MTV News)
– Giselle has several nicknames including “Riri”, “Eri”, “Ojigel”, “Quokka”, “Gazelle”, and “GYM gel”.
– She learned French for a year and a half in her school.
– She became interested in K-pop during high school when it gained a lot of popularity.
– She likes smelling white rice right when they’re freshly cooked. (BuzzFeed Celeb)
– She wants to collaborate with Mark from NCT. (CNN)
– Her role models are Kehlani, A$AP Rocky and The Weeknd.
– She dreamed of becoming a rock star in her childhood.
– Her mother is her fashion inspiration.
– Her official number is 22.
– She participated in choir for 4 years, specifically as an alto in St. Mary’s Choir.
– Many people have noted that she bears a resemblance to Krystal from f(x).
– The name of her rabbit doll is Ddutta.
– Giselle has always envisioned a career as an artist (musician) since she was young.
– She has two pet dogs “Lily” and “Cooper”.
– If given the chance to meet her 10-year-old self, she would encourage her to not hold back and to pursue her dreams without hesitation.
– Her chosen yearbook quote was “That’s hot.”
– She had always wanted to attend Coachella in lace tank tops and jean shorts.(Billboard)
– Official Animal: Unicorn
– The time she feels happiest is after showering, lying down in a cool room with her body covered.
– Initially, she believed that Karina was significantly taller than her, but in reality, there was only a 1cm height difference.
– She carries her mist at all times to spray in planes since she has dry skin. (VOGUE KOREA)
– She emphasizes the importance of consuming probiotics and describes herself as a lactobacillus maniac.
– Giselle’s role models include Kelani, The Weeknd, A$AP Rocky, and Rihanna.
– Her aunt is the ABC News’ Seoul bureau chief and reporter, Johee Cho.
– Official Symbol: Crescent Moon 🌙
– Giselle initially thought Karina was tall and both felt shy, while her first impression of Winter was quiet and calm, which later turned out to be different, and Giselle found Ningning kind and pretty upon their first meeting.
– Giselle is the main rapper and sub-vocalist in the group “aespa”.
– She auditioned and passed SM Entertainment’s Saturday Open Audition.
– She attended a vocal academy for two months before she became a trainee at SM.
– She underwent training for a period of 11 months, the shortest among SM female idols.
– She participated as a lyricist for the song “Zoo” for the album “2021 Winter SMTOWN: SMCU Express” and as a lyricist and composer for her song “2Hot4U”.
– Giselle was revealed as the last and final member of aespa.
– She modeled for the luxury brand “Dolce & Gabbana”.
Likes & Dislikes
– Her favorite word is the lyrics of ‘Poetic Justice’ which is “if i told you that a flower bloomed in the a dark room, would you trust it?”.
– Her favorite Korean word is “Chukkumi” (Ocellated octopus).
– Giselle enjoys adopting a preppy style in her fashion choices.
– She loves when the weather is cloudy but not raining. (MY Time, aespa)
– She considers dogs as her favorite animals.
– Deadpool is her favorite movie.
– She likes black colored clothing (Seoulstory)
– Her favorite female artist is CL and she is also a fan of Epik High
– Given the option, she would choose teeth pain over migraines for eternity.
– Her favorite music genre is R&B. (1theK Interview)
– Giselle frequently uses the cat emoji (😽) in her communication.
– She likes and often carries Jo Malone’s Peony & Blush Suede perfume in her bag. (What’s in my bag with aespa)
– Black is her favorite color.
– Autumn is her favorite season.
– Both Giselle and Karina consider carousels to be the best ride.
– She would choose a carbonated drink without bubbles over melted ice cream.
– She loves eating her mother’s seaweed soup.
– She loves to eat sweet and salty foods.
– Caramel latte is her favorite drink.
– Her preference leans toward chocolate bibimbap rather than jelly kimchi stew.
– Giselle’s favorite snack is ‘Choco Boy’. She likes the chocolate part more than the cookie in it. (First We Feast)
– She has a liking for ice cream, milk, strawberries, chocolate, and dark things.
– Her favorite menu at Gong Cha is the Strawberry Cookie Smoothie with a sugar content of 30.
– When faced with the choice between Ice Americano and hot Americano, Giselle prefers the former, even during winter.
– She enjoys eating mint chocolate and pineapple pizza.
– Giselle is fluent in English, Korean, and Japanese.
– Her special talent lies in imitating people.
– She desires to improve her guitar-playing skills, despite already knowing how to play.
– She is skilled in drawing people’s eyebrows at speed.
– She can also speak basic French and Spanish.
– She cannot ride roller coasters, according to Winter.
Personality & Habits
– She is an active person who enjoys exercising and trying out different things.
– NingNing describes her as having “four dimensions”.
– Giselle admits to whining frequently, often making whiny noises.
– When seeking stress relief, she likes shopping or indulging in something sweet. (MY Time, aespa)
– She likes to listen to songs with the volume turned up when she is distressed. (Vivi)
– Her must-have beauty item is lip balm as she hates it when her lips are dry.
Cultural Appropriation Backlash
– Giselle faced backlash after the group’s showcase in Los Angeles, California, as she was accused of cultural appropriation during the performance of the popular TikTok dance challenge, the Jiggle Jiggle song. Giselle deviated from the original choreography and performed a dance move resembling a step from Indian traditional dance. Netizens criticized her for mocking Indian culture and accused her of racism, particularly for disrespecting the traditional dance form Bharatanatyam.
Giselle’s Controversial Remark
– During the group’s visit to New York City, Giselle made a controversial statement in the vlog, saying, “I’m really going to commit suicide if my phone drops.” Although the English subtitles translated it as “I would die if my phone drops,” netizens criticized her for using the word “suicide,” perceiving it as insensitive and trivializing a serious matter. The incident sparked heated debates and various videos were shared on Korean online communities.
– Aespa’s Giselle faced controversy when a clip from a behind-the-scenes video of their debut EP, “Savage,” surfaced. In the clip, Giselle lip-synced the n-word while dancing to SZA’s “Love Galore” with Karina and Ningning. The clip spread on social media, causing Giselle’s name to trend on Twitter. Fans demanded an apology, and on October 25, she posted an apology on aespa’s official Twitter account.
Social Media Handles
Giselle (aespa) Photos
NOTE: How did you get to know Giselle? Mention your story in the comments section and also share more facts with us if you know!