Kris Wu, also known as Kris (크리스), was a Chinese-Canadian singer and a former member of the boy group EXO under SM Entertainment. He made his solo debut by releasing ‘Time Boils the Rains’ for ‘Tiny Times 3’ in July 2014.
Kris Wu (EXO) Profile
|Stage Name||Kris (크리스)|
|Birth Name||Wu Yi Fan (吴亦凡)|
|Occupation||Singer, Actor, Model, Rapper|
|Birthday||November 6th, 1990|
|Age||33 (in 2023)|
|Height||187.8 cm (6’2”)|
|Weight||73 kg (160.9 lbs)|
Kris Wu (EXO) Facts:
– Kris Wu was born in Guangzhou, China.
– He was raised by his mother since his parents divorced when he was a toddler.
– He moved to Canada at the age of 10.
– He attended Guangzhou No.7 Middle School in China.
– He went to Point Grey Secondary School and Sir Winston Churchill Secondary School in Vancouver.
– He changed his legal name to ‘Wu Yifan’ from Kevin Li at the age of 17.
– Kris is an only child.
– He used to love watching Snoop Dogg during his younger days. (Crash)
– After Kris was born, his grandparents took him to their hometown Bayin, Gansu.
– He has never met his biological father and has no interest in establishing a connection with him.
– If he was allowed to wear only one brand then he chose Louis Vuitton. (iHeartRadio)
– His birth name is Li Jiaheng.
– He used to skip classes in middle school. (The Paper)
– He got his driving license at the age of 16.
– According to him, he is more handsome than Chanyeol. (The Star)
– He is fluent in four languages: English, Cantonese, Mandarin, and Korean. (jazminemedia)
– His nickname used to be Rou Rou. (Meigeni Express)
– His power in EXO was ‘Flight’.
– He wanted to be the Jackie Chan of music.
– He is known for being social and able to strike up conversations with anyone.
– He is a basketball enthusiast and was the team captain of his school’s basketball team at the age of 15.
– He spends his free days sleeping.
– He worked as a dishwasher and server to support his mother.
– He played a role in translating the official English subtitles for EXO’s Korean Showcase.
– He once broke glasses when he used to be a waiter. (The Paper)
– During his time with EXO, Kris helped the group with fashion and shopping.
– He runs his own basketball charity project, Extraordinary Court of Glory, which aims to provide underprivileged children who love basketball with better courts and equipment.
– He mostly collects hats and sports shoes. (YOHO)
– Kris and Luhan would playfully support opposing soccer teams to annoy each other.
– He chose a monkey as an animal to describe himself. (Cosmopolitan)
– In 2011, at the age of 17, Kris Wu auditioned for S.M. Entertainment’s Canadian Global Auditions and successfully passed. In January 2008, he moved to South Korea and became a trainee at SM Entertainment. On April 8, 2012, he made his debut as a member of the boy group EXO under SM Entertainment. In 2014, at the age of 24, Kris returned to China.
– In July 2014, he released the soundtrack “Time Boils the Rain” for the film “Tiny Times 3,” which was a box office success.
– He made his film debut in “Somewhere Only We Know” in February 2015, which achieved significant commercial success.
– He was also recognized as the “Weibo King” due to his significant presence on social media. Kris made his catwalk debut at Burberry’s Fall 2016 Men’s Show in London and participated in the NBA All-Star Game as a member of Team Canada from 2016 to 2018.
– He continued to pursue his acting career and released his first solo single, “Bad Girl,” in November 2015. Kris starred in several films, including “Mr. Six” and “Never Gone,” and made his Hollywood debut in “xXx: Return of Xander Cage” in 2017.
– He achieved further success with his EP “Deserve,” which reached number one on the US iTunes charts in October 2017.
– Kris signed with Universal Records in April 2018 and became the youngest celebrity to have a wax statue at Madame Tussauds Shanghai.
Likes & Dislikes
– He likes the angst genre.
– He likes snowboarding and water sports.
– He likes buzz cut. (Meigeni Express)
– He prefers chicken over beef. (Sound Bites)
– He doesn’t like Cilantro and fish.
– He loves to eat at Popeyes. (iHeartRadio)
– He prefers burritos over tacos.
– He prefers cheesecake over brownies.
– He prefers steak over brisket.
– He prefers BBQ over fine dining.
– He prefers dinner over breakfast. (Sound Bites)
– He really likes KFC.
Magazines & Endorsements
– He appeared on the covers of numerous magazines in 2015, including Harper’s Bazaar, L’Officiel Hommes, Grazia, Marie Claire, and Vogue China.
– In 2015, he became the Youth ambassador for 3rd Silk Road International Film Festival.
– In 2016, he endorsed Mixxtail and Mercedes-Benz and became the global ambassador for Burberry.
– In 2017, he was the brand ambassador for Bulgari.
– He was also the global ambassador for I.T Cashback Card.
– On May 15, 2014, Kris Wu filed a lawsuit against SM Entertainment, seeking the termination of his contract.
– He cited the mistreatment of artists by the company, which led to serious health issues, including myocarditis. Kris claimed that SM did not address his health concerns, resulting in a loss of trust and his decision to leave.
– In July 2016, Kris reached a settlement with SM Entertainment, allowing him to be promoted as a solo artist while being managed by the company only in Korea and Japan until the original contract ends.
– On July 8, 2021, Du Meizhu, a 19-year-old Chinese college student, made allegations on the Chinese social media platform Weibo, accusing Kris of engaging in a repeated pattern of sexual assault against multiple females, including some who were underage, while they were unconscious and under the influence of alcohol. Du claimed that she was raped while intoxicated on December 5, 2020, when she was 18 years old, and she stated that she was speaking on behalf of at least seven other victims, two of whom were minors at the time of the incidents.
– Kris Wu denied the allegations, and the Beijing Public Security Bureau and other authorities launched an investigation into the matter. Following the accusations, several companies, including Porsche, Bulgari, and Lancôme, severed their ties with Kris, either terminating his brand ambassadorship or suspending endorsement deals.
– On July 31, 2021, Kris was detained by the police in Beijing, and on August 16, 2021, he was formally arrested on suspicion of rape. On November 25, 2022, the Chaoyang District People’s Court in Beijing sentenced Kris to 13 years in prison and ordered his deportation from China upon completion of his sentence for charges related to rape and group lewdness. Additionally, Kris was fined an additional ¥600 million yuan (US$84 million) for tax evasion.
– In February 2023, it was reported that Kris had filed an appeal for a second trial, claiming to have found a witness who would testify against Du.
– His popular songs include “Deserve”, “18”, and “July”.
– Kris Wu has won several awards including Best New Actor, Celebrity of the Year, Most Popular Male Singer of the Year, Weibo King, and Asian Fashion Icon of the Year.
– Kris won the “Best Newcomer Award” at the 3rd China International Film Festival London.
NOTE: How did you get to know Kris Wu? Mention your story in the comments section and also share more facts with us if you know!