Wendy (웬디) is a South Korean K-pop singer and a member of the girl group Red Velvet under SM Entertainment. She debuted solo on April 5, 2021, with the mini album “Like Water”. She is also a member of the unit GOT the beat.
Wendy (Red Velvet, GOT the beat) Profile
|Stage Name||Wendy (웬디)|
|Birth Name||Wendy Shon|
|Korean Name||Shon Seung Wan (손승완)|
|Birthday||February 21, 1994|
|Age||29 (in 2023)|
|Height||159 cm (5’3″)|
|Weight||47 kg (104 lbs)|
Wendy (Red Velvet, GOT the beat) Facts:
– Wendy was born in Seongbuk-dong, Seoul, South Korea.
– She went to Jecheon Jungang Elementary School in Korea but moved to Canada with her sister during her fifth year of elementary school.
– She graduated from Shattuck-Saint Mary’s School and Richmond Hill High School.
– She was part of a show choir in high school.
– Irene said that she and Wendy feel similarly about a lot of things. (Glamour)
– She is the mood-maker of the group and her unique charm among the members is singing ballads in a husky voice. (Vogue Girl Japan)
– She used to share a room with Irene and Seulgi.
– Her family includes her parents and an older sister named Son Seung-hee.
– She is nicknamed Olaf and Wan-ah.
– Her parents came to live with her after 10 years during her hiatus.
– She has a four-octave vocal range. (Teen Vogue)
– Her hobbies include finding rare songs, cooking, walking by cafes, and singing.
– She would choose the ability not to gain weight no matter how much she eats over never getting tired without sleeping. (TMI Interview)
– She minimizes the time makeup is on her face by removing it instantly after her schedule is over to keep her skin clear. She also uses repair cream and tries not to touch her face with her hands. (Dazed)
– Her favorite song from “Stamp on It” is “Rose” because it brings out the vocals of Seulgi, BoA and Taeyeon. (allkpop)
– According to her, the advantages of short hair are that it takes less time to shower, you can style it differently and it makes her face look slim.
– On normal days, she does light makeup using only tone-up, blusher, and lip products. (Nylon)
– Becoming a radio DJ helped her reduce her shyness and made her more of an extrovert. (Dazed)
– According to the other Red Velvet members, Wendy is the most beautiful without makeup.
– She wrote the phrase “New chapter of our lives have begun!” for the album artwork of “Like Water”. (Teen Vogue)
– If she had to choose to see any artist in concert she would choose Beyonce. (Billboard)
– She was one of the few to hear “Indigo” by RM (BTS) before its release. (W Korea)
– She said that she has eight unique voices inside of her. (Teen Vogue)
– She described Red Velvet songs as being a harmonious blend of five unique sounds of each member. (Allure Korea)
– She said that her skin color is from her father and her skin texture is from her mother. (Nylon)
– A challenge she wants to complete is to get her driver’s license.
– She wants to try all genres of music except for heavy metal and classical music. (Dazed)
– Wendy’s ideal type is someone respectful, caring, has a pleasant laugh, enjoys eating, and shares similarities with her dad.
– Wendy is the main vocalist in Red Velvet.
– Before joining SM Entertainment, she tried out for Cube Entertainment.
– She collaborated with rapper Yuk Ji-dam for the song “Return,” an OST for KBS2’s drama Who Are You: School 2015. It debuted at #31 on the Gaon Singles Chart.
– She also released the song “Let You Know” for the soundtrack of the JTBC drama D-Day in October.
– She was a panelist on We Got Married starting from January 9, 2016.
– In 2016, she participated as a contestant in an episode of King of Masked Singer under the stage name “Space Beauty Maetel.”
– She collaborated with Ricky Martin on the single “Vente Pa’ Ca.”
– She also released a collaboration single with Eric Nam titled “Spring Love” on March 4, 2016, as part of S.M. Entertainment’s SM Station project.
– She hosted the night DJ show “Wendy’s Youngstreet” from 2021 to 2023.
– She made her theatrical debut for the musical “Rebecca” in 2023.
– She has been featured in many notable magazines including “Singles”, “DAZED”, “BEAUTY+” and “Harper’s BAZAAR Korea”.
– On December 25, 2019, she experienced a severe accident, falling off stage during rehearsals for 2019 SBS Gayo Daejeon, resulting in fractures in her pelvis and wrist, as well as facial injuries. She took a year off for recovery.
Likes & Dislikes
– Her favorite movies include “Begin Again” and “The Fault in Our Stars.”
– Her favourite beauty items are blusher and lip products. (Nylon)
– She prefers casual and simple clothing.
– She likes cooking but she takes a long time so if she wanted to cook for someone she would have to start in the morning. (SPUR.JP)
– Her favorite number is 77.
– She dislikes sunlight.
– Her favorite song from their first Japanese mini-album is “Cookie Jar”. (Vogue Girl Japan)
– She excelled academically during her school and received the Obama Presidential Awards in 8th grade which earned her a spot in the school’s hall of fame.
– She can imitate Christina Confalonieri and is recognized as the “reaction queen” among the members.
– She is bad at doing “aegyo”. (Nylon)
– She can speak four different languages: English, Korean, Spanish, and French.
– She is good at nail art.
Personality & Habits
– She has a bright and positive personality.
– Joy said that Wendy is really good at listening to other people’s problems and worries. (Buzzfeed)
– She was chosen as the member who is most different on-screen and off-screen during an interview.
– She said that her kind personality came from her parents. (Nylon)
– Wendy won the “Radio DJ of the Year” at the Brand of the Year Awards and the “Radio DJ Award” at the SBS Entertainment Awards in 2022 for “Wendy’s Youngstreet”.
– She also won the “Ballad Award” at the Seoul Music Awards in 2022.
SOCIAL MEDIA HANDLES
NOTE: How did you get to know Wendy? Mention your story in the comments section and also share more facts with us if you know!