Joy (조이) is a South Korean singer, actress and a member of the girl group Red Velvet under SM Entertainment. She debuted solo on May 31, 2021, with the album “Hello”.
Joy (Red Velvet) Profile
|Stage Name||Joy (조이)|
|Birth Name||Park Soo Young|
|Birthday||September 3, 1996|
|Age||27 (in 2023)|
|Height||167 cm (5’6″)|
|Weight||49 kg (108 lbs)|
Joy (Red Velvet) Facts:
– Joy was born in Jeju Island, South Korea.
– She went to Seoul Shinhwa Elementary School and Sinchang Middle School.
– She transferred from Yeomgwang High School to Seoul Performing Arts High School and graduated from the Department of Applied Music.
– Her family includes her parents and two younger sisters.
– Green is her representative color.
– Kelly Clarkson’s “Because of You” is the song of her life because it is the first English song she practiced to sing. (Teen Vogue)
– She can sing trot music and can imitate Mr. Krabs from Spongebob.
– She said that her “The One and Only” co-stars Eunjin and Yewon helped her improve her acting. (HELLOKPOP)
– She believes that the tip to beauty is skincare.
– Joy has a pet dog named Haetnim and she made an Instagram account of him: @haetnimee.
– She is close with Oh Hayoung (A Pink), Yerin (GFriend), actor Kim Min-jae, and Woosung (LUCY).
– For her, fashion is like armor that makes her feel safe, protected and confident. (Vogue)
– She saves the members in her phone with just their real name because it’s hard to find the number with nicknames or emojis. (GQ TMI)
– Her most used emoji is 😘.
– Wendy said that Joy is attractive because there are many sides to her and that she pretends to be strong but she actually is not. (Buzzfeed)
– Her tip to take good photos is to just be natural.
– Her fears about death disappeared after filming the drama “The One and Only”. (HELLOKPOP)
– She and Yerin of GFriend were classmates at the School of Performing Arts.
– Her skincare routine is to first use toner then 2-3 serums then cream and moisturizing cream over that and finally hyaluronic acid essence. (W Korea)
– She loves animals and has volunteered at animal shelters multiple times.
– Her stage name, Joy, was given to her by a vocal coach.
– The one who takes the most photos of her is her stylist, Seohyun and her close friend, Jiyoung.
– She has taken acting and horseback riding lessons. (Allure)
– Among her co-members, she was chosen as the most “passionate” and “driven” member (Arena Homme+ October 2020 interview).
– She used to share a room with Yeri.
– If she weren’t a celebrity, she would like to be a kindergarten teacher. (GQ TMI)
– She used to be insecure about her looks when she first made her debut but now she likes her face as it is. (Allure)
– Her song choice on a drive depends on the season but R&B suits her best. (HELLOKPOP)
– Joy’s ideal type is someone who lives by the rules, works hard on their goals and possesses a clear understanding of their own thoughts and beliefs.
– She thinks that the photos of her taken by others are better than the ones she takes herself. (GQ TMI)
– On August 23, 2021, both P NATION and SM Entertainment confirmed her relationship with Crush. (NME)
– Joy is the lead rapper and sub-vocalist in Red Velvet.
– She appeared in “We Got Married” where her husband was Sungjae from BTOB.
– She was cast in the 2012 Global Audition in Seoul.
– Unlike some Red Velvet members, she was not a part of SM Rookies.
– She made her acting debut in the drama “The Liar and His Lover” (2017).
– She made an appearance on King of Masked Singer as Bandabi and won the first round of competition (ep 122).
– On April 26, 2023, it was announced that Joy would temporarily halt her activities due to health concerns.
– Joy and NCT‘s Doyoung made a Christmas song titled “First Christmas.”
– She has achieved success on the Gaon Digital Chart with two singles peaking in the top ten: “Always in My Heart” with Seul-ong in 2016 and “Introduce Me A Good Person” in 2020.
– She was ranked in the “Top 20 Most Popular Idols” in 2019 by Gallup Korea’s annual list.
Magazines & Endorsements
– Joy has been featured in many notable magazines including “Ceci”, “Marie Claire Korea”, “ELLE KOREA”, “VOGUE KOREA”, and “BEAUTY+”.
– She was appointed by LVMH as the global ambassador for their brand “Fresh” in 2023.
– She has appeared in several advertisements for brands like “Etude”, “Calvin Klein”, “Barrel” and “TOD’S”.
Likes & Dislikes
– She likes to collect hair accessories.
– Joy likes to watch behind videos of girl groups because it reminds her of early debut days. (W Korea)
– Her favorite color is green. (Showterview)
– She prefers the ocean over the mountains.
– Her favourite hairstyle is the half up-do style. (GQ TMI)
– She is a fan of MeloMance and Gummy.
– Her favorite foods include sushi, chicken and grilled eel.
– She likes mint chocolate ice cream.
– Her favourite cup noodles are Kimchi Bowl Noodles. (W Korea)
– She likes eating pizza without the crust.
– She has various nicknames including “Doongdoongie”, “Sexy Dynamite”, and “cute Joy”.
– Korean fans call her “Melgumi” which means an honest and bright person. (Vogue Girl Japan)
– Joy was nicknamed “snob” in the past because she didn’t smile much.
Personality & Habits
– She said that she’s a very optimistic person, so instead of feeling disappointed, she prefers to spend her time and effort working on herself. (Allure)
– She is described as a perfectionist and likes to plan things ahead of time.
– She relieves stress by going around on her own and meeting up to talk with her sisters.
– Her popular songs include “Hello”, “Je T’aime” and “Introduce Me a Good Person”.
– Joy won the “Newcomer Award” at the OSEN Cable TV Awards for her debut drama “The Liar and His Lover”.
– In 2015, she won the “Best Couple Award” and “New Star Award” at the MBC Entertainment Awards after appearing on the show “We Got Married” with Yook Sung-Jae.
NOTE: How did you get to know Joy? Mention your story in the comments section and also share more facts with us if you know!