Seulgi (슬기) is a South Korean singer, dancer, and a member of the girl group Red Velvet under SM Entertainment. She debuted solo on October 4, 2022, with the mini album “28 Reasons”. She is also a member of Red Velvet’s subunit “Irene & Seulgi” and the female unit “GOT the beat”.
Seulgi (Red Velvet, GOT the beat) Profile
|Stage Name||Seulgi (슬기)|
|Birth Name||Kang Seul Gi (강슬기)|
|Birthday||February 10, 1994|
|Age||29 (in 2023)|
|Height||160 cm (5’3″)|
|Weight||44 kg (97 lbs)|
Seulgi (Red Velvet, GOT the beat) Facts:
– Seulgi was born in Ansan, Gyeonggi-do, South Korea.
– She went to Ansan Howon Elementary School and Byeolmang Middle School.
– Her family includes her parents, an older brother, and her grandmother.
– She graduated from the Seoul School of Performing Arts.
– Seulgi said that she looks exactly like her parents. (Allure Korea)
– She does natural-look makeup on a daily basis. (W Korea)
– Wendy described her as a true friend and that she loves everything about her. (Glamour)
– She would Austria as her favourite vacation spot because it’s the background of her favourite movie “Before Sunrise”. (Nylon)
– Her favorite memes include that of Joy’s where she’s expressing herself through her whole body. (Buzzfeed)
– If she had to choose an animal that resembles her, she would choose a baby tiger.
– She almost had her money stolen from her in front of school. (TheKstarNextDoor)
– To relieve stress, she organizes her thoughts by writing in a diary, enjoys meals with people she cares about, and goes to Karaoke alone.
– Irene said that Seulgi used to have extreme stage fright but she has overcome it now. (Irene Magazine Interview)
– She is nicknamed “Bear”. (Vogue Girl Japan)
– Her favourite thing to do on tour is explore the food and culture of the region. (Behind The Blinds)
– The song of her life is “Everytime” by Britney Spears because it was the last song on the first CD she received as a gift and it’s a song she really wants to cover. (Teen Vogue)
– Her favourite movie genre is romantic comedy and she likes movies that are visually appealing.
– She used to be scared of the broadcasting station after debut but now she is comfortable. (Nylon)
– Her tip for dressing well is wearing similar shades to dress tone-on-tone.
– A ballad song she listens to when she is feeling down is “Flowerpot” by Alex. (ESQUIRE Korea)
– She would film vlogs about her daily life if she were a Youtuber.
– She watched movies with villain protagonists to write the lyrics of “Dead Man Running” from a villain’s perspective like in a novel. (Behind The Blinds)
– The artists she wants to collaborate with first and foremost in the future are her labelmates. (ESQUIRE Korea)
– She likes effortless looks because she prioritizes comfort.
– She has a separate Instagram account for pictures she takes with her film camera.
– She was chosen as the artist Karina (aespa) wants to collaborate with. (aespa Puppy Interview)
– Seulgi’s ideal type is someone comfortable, who laughs a lot and looks pretty when they laugh.
– Seulgi is the main dancer and lead vocalist in Red Velvet.
– She was cast in 2007 through a public audition and became a part of the pre-debut team SM Rookies.
– She almost debuted with the stage name Rowoon but eventually chose Seulgi.
– She was featured in Henry’s song “Butterfly” before her debut.
– Kyuhyun from Super Junior mentioned about her before her debut which attracted attention to her.
– She starred in the musical “School Oz,” portraying the lead role of Dorothy.
– She participated in various soundtracks, including songs for the drama “Uncontrollably Fond” and “Hwarang: The Poet Warrior Youth.”
– She was a participant in “King of Masked Singer”.
– She was labeled as the all-rounder of the 3rd generation Kpop by Behind The Blinds.
– She participated in writing the lyrics of her song “28 Reasons”. (NME)
– As part of the TV program “Idol Drama Operation Team,” she was in a 7-member girl group called Girls Next Door.
– She was part of the SM Station X girl group project: Seulgi x SinB x Chungha x Soyeon.
– She wrote the lyrics of “Dead Man Running”. (TheKstarNextDoor)
Magazines & Endorsements
– She has been featured in many notable magazines including “DAZED KOREA”, “Vogue Korea”, “ELLE Korea” and “Marie Claire”.
– She has endorsed many brands including Nike, Converse Korea, Coca-Cola, and L’Occitane.
– She was appointed as the ambassador for Volkswagen in 2021.
Likes & Dislikes
– Orange is her favorite color.
– The fashion item that she is interested in is socks. (ESQUIRE Korea)
– She loves to watch horror movies. (NME)
– She would like to try concepts from the 90s and 2000s in future albums. (Vogue)
– She prefers the smell of lotions so she doesn’t use perfumes that often.
– Her favorite karaoke song when she was young was “Bakkwo” by Lee Junghyun.
– She would choose time travel as her superpower so that she can go through time at a faster speed. (Buzzfeed)
– She likes vegetables.
– Her favorite foods include Huoguo and stews. (ESQUIRE Korea)
– A restaurant that she wants to recommend is “Bokmanru” near Haebangchon which is famous for Gyo-dong-style spicy noodles.
– She likes to cook “Gaejurim” which is a family dish containing crabs.
– Her favourite winter snack is Hoppang and she likes both vegetable and red bean ones.
– She loves to eat Pringles and so she got nicknamed “sringles” by her fans.
– Her specialties include playing the guitar and speaking Japanese.
– She can only wink with her left eye. (ESQUIRE Korea)
– She has impressive drawing skills, once drawing Taeyeon in a way that appeared very lifelike.
– She is the best at playing Rummikub among the members. (W Korea)
Personality & Habits
– Seulgi considers herself a pacifist. (TheKstarNextDoor)
– She is the type to get worked up when she sees injustice. (BEAUTY+ Magazine)
– Her drinking habits include using hand gestures and getting more excited.
– She always tends to do “rock” when playing rock, paper, and scissors. (Showterview)
– She likes to spend her days quietly.
– Irene described her as someone who does things according to what she feels like without a plan. (Weekly Idol)
– In 2022, Seulgi won the “Best Female Artist (Overseas)” at the Asian Pop Music Awards for her work “28 Reasons”.
– In 2023, she won the “Female Soloist” at the Brand Customer Loyalty Awards and “K Global Bonsang (Main Prize)” at the K Global Heart Dream Awards.
SOCIAL MEDIA HANDLES
NOTE: How did you get to know Seulgi? Mention your story in the comments section and also share more facts with us if you know!