Red Velvet (레드벨벳) is a five-member South Korean girl group that initially debuted as four on August 1, 2014 with the single “Happiness” under SM Entertainment. The group members consist of Irene, Seulgi, Wendy, Joy, and Yeri.
Red Velvet Profile
|Debut||August 1, 2014|
|Red Velvet Members||Irene, Seulgi, Wendy, Joy, Yeri|
|Official Fan Color||Pastel Coral|
Red Velvet Facts:
– The group’s name, Red Velvet, symbolizes two distinct images: “Red” for their vivid and bold side and “Velvet” for their classy and toned-down side.
– Their lightstick is named “Kimmanbong,” derived from “kimchi mandu,” which means kimchi dumpling. The members playfully call the lightstick “Kim Man Bong-sshi.”
– Among the members, Joy was the only member who was not a part of SM Rookies, SM Entertainment’s pre-debut trainee team.
– They initially debuted as a four-member group and later Yeri joined the group in March 2015.
– The music video for “Happiness” was initially released on August 1 but was later taken down due to controversial imagery concerning the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki as well as the events of 9/11. It was re-released on August 4 without the concerning images.
– The group’s fan club name is “ReVeluv,” a combination of “Red Velvet” and “love,” as well as “Level Up.”
– The members heard the song “Russian Roulette” when they were trainees, not knowing they would eventually release it. (Herald Pop)
– Their first sub-unit, Red Velvet – Irene & Seulgi, debuted on July 6, 2020, with the mini album “Monster.”
– Joy took a break from scheduled activities in April 2023 due to health reasons but resumed her activities on June 20.
– The group often asks Wendy to sing their favorite songs.
– In a survey conducted by the Korean Army, Red Velvet ranked 3rd in the category of “Which girl group shook the hearts of army men?”
– There is an 8-year age difference between the eldest member, Irene, and the youngest member, Yeri.
– Red Velvet members joined the company in the following order: Seulgi, Irene, Wendy, Joy, and Yeri.
– Their album “The Red” debuted at number one on the Billboard World Albums Chart and the Gaon album chart.
– They performed at an inter-Korean concert in Pyongyang, North Korea, along with 160 Korean artists on May 29, 2018, marking SM Entertainment’s first such performance in fifteen years after Shinwa. (Forbes)
– The group’s substantial influence domestically was acknowledged with Forbes Korea Power Celebrity rankings, placing 11th in 2018 and fifth in 2019.
– In 2020, they secured the position of the fifth most-streamed K-pop artist on Spotify.
– Their lead single “Dumb Dumb” achieved remarkable chart success, peaking at number two on the Gaon Digital Chart and number three on the Billboard World Digital Songs chart. It also claimed the top spot on the list of the “Top 20 K-pop Tracks of 2015” by Dazed.
Magazines & Endorsements
– The group has appeared in many advertisements like “Baskin Robbins”, “Shilla Duty Free Shop”, “LG V50 ThinQ”, and “Azarine Cosmetics”.
– Red Velvet was appointed as the brand ambassador for AZARINE in 2023.
– They have been featured in several magazines including “CeCi” ,”DAZED”, “ELLE”, “NYLON” and “Marie Claire”.
– Their popular song include “Psycho”, “Bad Boy”, “Red Flavor” and “Peek-A-Boo”.
– They have won many awards including “Most Influential Female Idol”, “Best Female Performance Award”, “Rookie Award” and “Best Female Group”.
Red Velvet Members Profile
|Stage Name||Irene (아이린)|
|Birth Name||Bae Joo Hyeon (배주현)|
|Position||Leader, Main Rapper, Lead Dancer, Sub Vocalist, Visual, Center|
|Birthday||March 29, 1991|
|Age||32 (in 2023)|
|Height||158 cm (5’2″)|
|Weight||44 kg (97 lbs)|
– She was chosen as the No. 1 sample for Double Eye-Lid surgery. (TMI Interview)
– She wants to find stability and balance between her life and daily activities.
– Many trainees initially found her intimidating due to her reserved nature and strong Daegu dialect.
– She relieves stress by creating mind maps to organize her thoughts.
– She actively participated in an online community for aspiring idols before her debut.
– She went to a cooking class once and learned to cook an Italian dish. (Nylon)
– She likes her fresh look the best. (TMI Interview)
– Her favorite artist is BoA.
– She puts the focus on listening to melody or listening to lyrics of a song depending on her mood. (Allure 2019)
– She likes to write stories about herself or other things in her diary. (Allure 2019)
– She is usually called “Irene Unnie” by fans because she is the oldest.
– She likes collecting notes, journals, and anything purple.
– She said that there isn’t much difference between her persona as Irene and her real self as Bae Joohyun. Sometimes, she feels like Irene and sometimes she feels like Bae Joohyun. (Allure 2019)
– She is in Red Velvet’s sub-unit “IRENE & SEULGI”.
– Her representative drink is Pink Island Ice Tea, which includes Red-flesh Watermelon, Pink Ukulele, and Red Hibiscus flower.
– She would choose “Red Flavour” to be Red Velvet’s representative song. (Nylon)
– Her representative animal was Cat (Happiness to #Cookie Jar) and then Rabbit (Summer Magic onwards).
– Red-flesh Watermelon is her representative fruit, and her representative weapon is the axe.
Read more facts about Irene
SOCIAL MEDIA HANDLES
|Stage Name||Seulgi (슬기)|
|Birth Name||Kang Seul Gi (강슬기)|
|Position||Main Dancer, Lead Vocalist|
|Birthday||February 10, 1994|
|Age||29 (in 2023)|
|Height||160 cm (5’3″)|
|Weight||44 kg (97 lbs)|
– His brother has her saved in his phone as “stupid” and she has him saved as “dummy”. (Showterview)
– The “Bad Boy” concept was her most confident era because she studied artists like Rihanna and they influenced her a lot. (Buzzfeed)
– She considers her adaptability is her unique charm. (Vogue Girl Japan)
– She chose red hair color to be the best among all the colours she has tried before. (Allure Korea)
– She once stood up for a kid who was being bullied in school. (TheKstarNextDoor)
– Her interests include visiting nostalgic places, listening to old songs and watching old movies. (ESQUIRE Korea)
– She hates lying but believes white lies are sometimes necessary. (BEAUTY+ Magazine)
– She has a habit of changing into pyjamas right after she gets home. (W Korea)
– She would choose “Bad Boy” to be Red Velvet’s representative song. (Nylon)
– Her role model is BoA. (Showterview)
– She prefers taking on new challenges rather than doing the same things repetitively. (Behind The Blinds)
– If she ever gets the chance to act, she wants to do thriller, noir or horror.
– She thinks her most attractive feature in terms of physical appearance is her eyes. (ESQUIRE Korea)
– Her skincare routine includes using the mildest moisturizer because heavy products give her skin trouble.
– She has had a fight with each Red Velvet member once. (TheKstarNextDoor)
– She repeats to herself “Let’s have fun” before going on stage to not be nervous. (Nylon)
– Her favourite Red Velvet title tracks include “Psycho” and “Bad Boy”.
– She debuted as a soloist on October 4, 2022, with the mini-album “28 Reasons.”
– 3 things she would bring to a desert island include mobile phone, fire, and tools like a knife.
– Her representative animal was changed from unicorn (Happiness to #Cookie Jar) to polar bear (Summer Magic era only), then to brown bear (2019 Season’s Greeting teaser release onwards).
– Pineapple is her representative fruit, and her representative weapon is a knife. Her representative drink is “Yellow Breeze” made of pineapple, Yellow Igloo, and Sunflower.
Read more facts about Seulgi
SOCIAL MEDIA HANDLES
|Stage Name||Wendy (웬디)|
|Birth Name||Wendy Shon|
|Korean Name||Shon Seung Wan (손승완)|
|Birthday||February 21, 1994|
|Age||29 (in 2023)|
|Height||159 cm (5’3″)|
|Weight||47 kg (104 lbs)|
– She wants the ability to control time as her choice of superpower. (Buzzfeed)
– She doesn’t consider singing as her job but rather it is something to relieve stress for her. (SPUR.JP)
– The lessons she has learned by being part of Red Velvet are to make every moment count and to never fail to try more. (Billboard)
– She is known as a “concept-gangster” among fans because she looks good in any concept. (Nylon)
– There’s no day that she doesn’t listen to music. (TMI Interview)
– She would choose Jessie J’s “Who You Are” as the song of her life because she loves the lyrics and she used to listen to it a lot in her trainee days. (Teen Vogue)
– Her representative animal changed from a deer (Happiness to #Cookie Jar) to a squirrel (Summer Magic onwards).
– Her representative fruit is the blue-flesh orange.
– She is in charge of English. (Vogue Girl Japan)
– Her favorite hairstyle is the Hershey cut. (Dazed)
– She likes matte lipsticks but mixes them with moist lip products because her lips get dry.
– She likes to look for perfumes with new and unique scents instead of familiar aromas. (Nylon)
– Her nicknames include “Wannie Oppa” and “Olaf”. (Vogue Girl Japan)
– She learned to play piano, flute, saxophone and guitar. (Teen Vogue)
– She is chosen by the other members as the healthiest member of Red Velvet.
– Her favorite Red Velvet song is “Psycho”. (Allure Korea)
– She got interested in music through her dad who encouraged her to study music.
– She wants to try a concept where she can wear a suit. (TMI Interview)
Read more facts about Wendy
SOCIAL MEDIA HANDLES
|Stage Name||Joy (조이)|
|Birth Name||Park Soo Young|
|Position||Lead Rapper, Sub Vocalist|
|Birthday||September 3, 1996|
|Age||27 (in 2023)|
|Height||167 cm (5’6″)|
|Weight||49 kg (108 lbs)|
– She would choose teleportation if she had to choose a superpower. (Buzzfeed)
– She exercises first thing in the morning. She does Pilates and strength workouts. (Allure)
– Her skincare tip is to wash face before sleeping and always apply toner and moisturizer.
– She thinks that Seo Jiseok is the funniest member of Handsome Tigers. (GQ TMI)
– She loves going on drives as its healing for her. (HELLOKPOP)
– She said that fashion is the best way to express herself. (Allure Korea)
– The concept for “Bad Boy” made her feel most confident because it portrayed a strong female lead. (Buzzfeed)
– If she were to be born as a fruit, she would choose strawberry.
– “Malgeumi” (bright) is a nickname she has been pushing for herself since her debut because she wanted to be known as a pure and fresh person. (W Korea)
– Joy is known for taking the most selfies among all the members.
– Her representative animal was a canary (Happiness to #Cookie Jar), later changed to a chick (Summer Magic onwards).
– The green kiwi is her representative fruit and her representative drink is a Green Sunrise, made with ingredients like green kiwi, green light bulb, and a green leaf.
– A trend she would like to be brought back is decorating phones as she feels all phones look the same now. (GQ TMI)
– She usually asks her mom to take her photos. (W Korea)
– Her dream vacation is to go to Switzerland because it is so picturesque. (W Korea)
– She would choose herself to be the funniest member of Red Velvet.
– Her representative weapon is a submachine gun in the group.
– She made her solo debut with the album “Hello” on May 31, 2021.
– Her favorite song from their first Japanese mini album is “Cookie Jar”. (Vogue Girl Japan)
Read more facts about Joy
|Stage Name||Yeri (예리)|
|Birth Name||Kim Ye Rim (김예림)|
|Position||Sub Vocalist, Sub Rapper, Maknae|
|Birthday||March 5, 1999|
|Age||24 (in 2023)|
|Height||158 cm (5’2″)|
|Weight||49 kg (108 lbs)|
– She is in charge of English and Japanese. (Vogue Girl Japan)
– She wants to do a school drama before she can no longer suit school uniforms. She also wants to try a period drama. (BEAUTY+)
– She thinks she is better with older people rather than younger people. (Grazia Korea)
– If she wants to get close to someone, she would be the one to make the first move. (Arena Homme Plus)
– To make a good impression on her, a person would have to be a good communicator and have the same aspects as her.
– Three words that are important to her are: “Influence”, “Stability”, and “Aurora”. She has all 3 words tattooed on her. (Arena Homme Plus)
– She isn’t good with technology. (BEAUTY+ Magazine)
– She loves Christmas and starts to look forward to it in November.
– She gets scared easily.
– She would like to go to New York or Jeju Islands for vacation instead of for work. (Cosmopolitan)
– Her representative animal is a turtle.
– She is a huge fan of Ariana Grande and she screamed when she saw that Ariana Grande had followed her. (BEAUTY+ Magazine)
– She has more non-celebrity friends than celebrity friends. (Cosmopolitan)
– She has a friendly personality and is attracted to good people.
– Yeri’s representative fruit is a violet grape and her representative weapon is “beast.”
– Her representative drink is “Violet Punch,” made with ingredients like violet grape, violet game-controller, and violet rocket.
– She does things in her free time in a pattern; guitar lessons, writing lyrics, working on songs, reading books or watching dramas and movies all day in bed. (Grazia Korea)
– She never walked in high heels until she had to film Red Velvet’s “Automatic” MV.
– The most memorable Hawaiian dish she had was apple pasta.
– People’s criticisms used to bother her but now, she learned to pay no attention to them.
Read more facts about Yeri
NOTE: Which Red Velvet member caught your eye first? Let us know your story in the comments down below!