Cho Mingyu (조민규) is a singer from South Korea under Interpark Entertainment. He is also a member of the crossover quartet Forestella which debuted on March 14, 2018, with the album “Evolution”. He made his solo debut with the single “New Age” on February 16, 2020.
Stage Name: Mingyu (민규)
Birth Name: Cho Mingyu (조민규)
Birthday: November 19, 1990
Age: 33 (in 2023)
Active Years: 7
Zodiac Sign: Scorpio
Height: 177 cm (5’10”)
Weight: 70 kg (154 lbs)
Blood Type: A
Cho Mingyu Facts:
– Cho Mingyu was born in Taebaek, Gangwon Province, South Korea.
– He went to Seoul Arts High School.
– He studied in the Department of Vocal Music and graduated from Seoul National University with a master’s degree.
– He worked as a dorm assistant at the university.
– In 1998, his family moved to Chuncheon.
– He was selected as a scholarship student by the Gangwon Talent Development Foundation.
– He was the class president in high school.
– He participated in and won several musical competitions in high school.
– His shoe size is 265mm.
– People think he resembles a cat.
– Cho Mingyu has completed his mandatory military service and served as a police officer.
– He started learning music from a young age because his mother also dreamed of being a singer.
– He finds fashion difficult.
– He lost 7-8 kgs of weight due to stress during the filming of Phantom Singer 2.
– His voice type is classical Tenor.
– He said he cuts down on sleep to watch dramas because they also help him learn how to express emotions while singing.
– His family consists of his parents and older sister.
– He has many nicknames, including Ming (밍), Minggyu (밍규), Joseon Moon (조선달님), Light Wind Tenor (광풍테너).
– His mother wanted to become a singer but gave up because of the extreme opposition from his maternal grandfather.
– His mother wanted her children to pursue music and played classical music when she was pregnant with Jo Mingyu.
– His sister is a piano major.
– He is close with his sister and nephew.
– He wanted to become a singer and a comic book store owner when he was young.
– He is the shortest member of the Forestella.
– He began playing classical music at 6 years old.
– He is close with the violinist Bomsori Kim.
– He can play the piano.
– His representative element is the Air.
– He got interested in the crossover genre after listening to Andrea Bocelli.
– Cho Mingyu is the leader and vocalist of the group “Forestella”.
– He participated in the Montreal International Music Competition and reached the semi-finals.
– He wanted to be an Opera singer but was discouraged by judges that he would never be the lead because of his leggero tenor.
– He was nicknamed “strategist” because of his detailed analytical and observational skills.
– He first selected Ko Woo Rim in the second round of Phantom Singer and Bae Doo Hoon in the 3rd round.
– He reconsidered his dream of being an opera singer when he participated in the Geneva International Music Competition in 2016. He was told he could never get the lead role in opera because of his leggero tone.
– He revealed that he worked at an opera company for four years.
– He released his latest single, “Wind,” on April 6, 2021.
– He is in charge of directing the members for the start and end of a phrase during performances.
– In 2020, he collaborated with Herz Analog and released the song “Friend.”
– He released his first solo single album, “New Age,” on February 16, 2020.
– He was the youngest finalist that appeared in “DongA Music Competition.”
– He received praise for his unique singing voice in Phantom Singer 2.
– He is under Interpark Entertainment.
Likes & Dislikes
– Cho Mingyu loves to eat pizza.
– His favorite music genres are bossa nova, city pop, tango, animation music, and oriental style.
– He loved listening to Lee Soo-young when he was young.
– He loved reading comics as a child.
– He likes to send flowers to his mother even on regular days.
– He likes eating desserts, especially cakes.
– He finds quitting bread the hardest when dieting.
– His favorite breakfast is spreading butter and strawberry jam on freshly baked toast.
– He doesn’t like ball games.
– He likes to watch dramas, and his favorite drama is Coffee Prince.
– Cho Mingyu likes to visit and sit at cafes.
– His hobby is visiting restaurants.