Jackson Wang (잭슨왕) is a Chinese singer-songwriter, rapper, producer and composer under 88rising and Team Wang. He is a member of the boy group GOT7. He debuted solo on August 26, 2017 with the single “Papillon”.
Jackson Wang (GOT7) Profile
|Stage Name||Jackson (잭슨) / Jackson Wang|
|Birth Name||Wang Jia Er (王嘉尔)/ Wang Ka Yee (王嘉爾)|
|Korean Name||Wang Ga Yi (왕가이)|
|Occupation||Singer-songwriter, Rapper, Producer, Director|
|Birthday||March 28, 1994|
|Age||29 (in 2023)|
|Height||174 cm (5’9″)|
|Weight||63 kg (139 lbs)|
Jackson Wang (GOT7) Facts:
– Jackson was born in Kowloon Tong, Hong Kong, but he grew up in the Sha Tin District, Hong Kong, China.
– He attended the American International School and completed up to the 11th grade.
– He had ADHD as a child, and he still has it to some extent, although it’s less severe than when he was a child.
– His family consists of his parents and one older brother.
– His mother, Zhou Ping, is a gold medalist at the World Gymnastics Championships, and his father, Wang Rui-ji, was a former coach of the Hong Kong National Fencing Team.
– He wants to get married before he is 35 years old because he wants to see his kids longer. (Kinjaz Podcast)
– The people he looks up to the most are Michael Jackson, James Brown, and Prince. (Mindset)
– If he could live in any period, he would choose to live 500 years in the future.
– He loves his niece “Ailee” and often shares updates and pictures with her.
– An item in his closet that he could wear everyday is a plain black t-shirt.
– Yugyeom said that Jackson has had a fight with each of the members at least once. (Daebak Show)
– Something he would tell the future generations is “to trust your gut feelings and rely on yourself”.
– He once sued a hate commenter for 9000$ to teach him a lesson after he spread false rumors about him on social media. He later donated that amount to charity. (Allkpop)
– His representative emoji is the Crown (👑).
– His idol model is Michael Jackson. (The Glass Magazine)
– His most life-changing memory is when his parents were working 3 or 4 jobs a day and they came home and were lying on the floor from exhaustion. (Mindset)
– Unlike most idols, he does not invite his close friends to GOT7 concerts because he respects their busy schedules.
– His first job was an unpaid opportunity as a university fencing coach. (Interview Magazine)
– His motto is “Never give up on something you can’t live a day without. Never say you can’t before you try.”
– The mentality or philosophy of a person is the most important to him. (Interview magazine)
– He gets the most nervous right before a release.
– He washes his bedsheets twice a week.
– He follows the Christian religion.
– His dorm partner used to be Mark, then Jay B.
– The nicest people he worked for are Team Wang leaders. (Interview Magazine)
– His dreams are usually some kind of action film. (Mindset)
– He grew up in the same neighborhood as NCT’s Lucas.
– His fandom name is called “Jacky”.
– He said the number of children he would have in the future would be the decision of his future wife because she is the one who has to go through the pain. (Sports Keeda)
– Jackson doesn’t have any ideal type and looks for a matching vibe. He wants a girl who knows what she wants in life. (Kinjaz Podcast)
– His idea of a perfect day would be if no one contacted him and he could sleep the whole day. (Mindset)
– He lives on the lower floor of an apartment in Beijing with his parents on the upper floor. (Harper’s Bazaar)
– The silliest thing he has done to impress a crush is to change his email to her name in middle school. (Buzzfeed)
Fencing Career & JYP Auditions
– Jackson Wang started fencing at the age of ten.
– He was a former member of the Fencing National Team in Hong Kong.
– He led his fencing team to the 2010 National Youth Olympics, although they didn’t win.
– He was playing basketball in school after an exam when a JYP agent approached him and asked him to dance on the spot. The agent then invited him to the JYP open auditions.
– He had rejected scouting offers twice before because his family thought it was a scam but he went for an audition this time.
– He waited three weeks for their reply and was about to lose hope when they emailed him that he had passed the auditions.
– In December 2010, he ranked first out of the 2000 applicants in the global JYP Auditions in Kowloon.
– He tried to convince his parents for seven months since they had their reservations about the entertainment industry. His dad challenged him that if he won first place at the fencing championship, he would let him go.
– In 2011, he achieved 1st place in the Asian Junior and Cadet Fencing Championship.
– He was preparing for the 2012 London Olympics and got accepted to Stanford University on scholarship when decided to move to Seoul.
– He moved to Seoul in July 2011 to start his training at JYP Entertainment.
– Jackson Wang is the main rapper, lead dancer, martial arts tricker, and face of the group in GOT7.
– Prior to his debut, he participated in the Mnet show “Who Is Next” (W.I.N) in 2013.
– He participated in writing many songs for GOT7’s albums including “Boom x3” “Shopping Mall” and “Out”
– He established his own agency in China (Hong Kong) named Team Wang.
– He took on the role of the rap mentor in “Idol Producer” (Chinese Produce 101).
– He served as a dance mentor alongside Luhan on a Chinese TV show called “Hot Blood Dance Crew.”
– Madame Tussauds Hong Kong created a wax figure of Jackson Wang.
– He was ranked 35th on TC Candler’s list of “The 100 Most Handsome Faces of 2018.”
– In July 2020, he introduced his clothing brand, Team Wang Design.
– His contract with JYP Entertainment ended on January 19, 2021, and he chose not to renew it.
– On January 22, 2021, it was officially announced that his label, Team Wang, had entered a business agreement with Sublime Artist Agency.
– He is also a member of the co-ed project hip-hop group PANTHEPACK.
– He writes the music video script and films the demo himself for his music videos. (Harper’s Bazaar)
– He took part in the series “Celebrity Bromance” with Jooheon of Monsta X.
– Jackson Wang directs his own music videos because he feels other directors cannot deliver the vision that he wants to portray. (Rolling Stone)
Likes & Dislikes
– His favorite color is black.
– He would choose his mom over his dad but he loves them equally. (Buzzfeed)
– His favorite fashion brand is Fendi.
– He prefers action movies over horror movies. (Mindset)
– His favorite artists are Dr. Dre, G-unit, 50 Cent, and Lloyd Banks.
– His favorite actors are Jim Carrey, Jackie Chan and Leonardo Dicaprio. (Interview Magazine)
– He’s a fan of the movie “Miracle in Cell No. 7,” and it even made him cry.
– His favorite foods include chocolate, Dim Sum, spaghetti carbonara, chicken, and hamburgers.
– He loves drinking Hennessy.
– His favorite ice cream flavor is mint chocolate. (Buzzfeed)
– He cannot handle spicy foods and starts sweating if he eats them.
– His favorite coffee is Nescafé Gold.
– He loves to eat durians.
– Jessi named her “manner hands” because he avoids touching the girls when taking a photo.
– His most popular nickname is “Wang Gae” (Wang puppy).
– Thai fans call him “P’Jack” and “Nong Jack”.
– BamBam once teasingly nicknamed him “Jacksoff” and it went out of hand and started trending on Twitter with 30,000 retweets. (Koreaboo)
– The only instrument he plays is a little piano for producing. (Interview Magazine)
– His specialty as a cook is sandwiches and fried eggs. (Interview Magazine)
– He is skilled in performing backflips.
– He has astigmatism.
– He is multilingual, being fluent in English, Cantonese, Mandarin, Shanghainese, and Korean. He can also speak some Japanese and basic French, as well as a bit of Thai.
– He has mysophobia. (Mindset)
– Jackson Wang is close friends with many celebrities, including f(x)’s Amber, Super Junior-M’s Henry, KARA’s Youngji, Lay (EXO), Jooheon (Monsta X), Lu Han, Kris Wu, Tao, and RM (BTS).
– He is also friends with Casper (former Cross Gene member), and Prince Mak (former member of JJCC).
Personality & Habits
– His personality in a few words is “ambition”, “passion” and “work hard, play hard”. (Buzzfeed)
– He is an extrovert and loves being around people.
– He sleeps naked in his house but when he is staying at hotels, he wears leggings and heat tech. (Woodyz)
– He has a passionate and ambitious personality.
– He loves skinship and displays of affection.
– He never gives up on something he really wants.
Depression & Struggle with Loneliness
– He got into depression in 2021 because he felt like he was stuck in a loop and thus started drinking excessively for a whole year. (Source)
– He never shared his struggles because he thought it was his own problems to solve.
– He later got out of it after talking to his producers and friends in Team Wang.
– He always leaves one light in his house even when he is aboard because he feels that someone is waiting for him and welcoming him home. (Dive Studios)
– He has often expressed that he is someone that many people rely on but he has nobody that he could rely on, not even his parents since he has to take care of them. (Dive Studios)
– Jackson Wang has nine tattoos which include the word “福” (luck), a lantern, a rooster (his dad’s Chinese zodiac), and a mouse (mom’s Chinese zodiac) along with his parents’ birth years, a fencing sword, cookies, Team Wang logo, “Kinjaz” and the Singapore Youth Olympic Games logo.
– His popular songs include “100 Days”, “LMLY”, “Blow”, and “Slow” (ft. Ciara).
– He has won several awards including “Most Influential Male Singer in Asia” at the Chinese Top Ten Music Awards (2021), “Global Influence Icon of the Year” at the Bazaar Icons Party (2023), and “Best Male Artist (Chinese)” at the Asian Pop Music Awards (2022)
– As of 2023, Jackson has won 52 awards out of 75 nominations.
Jackson Wang (GOT7) Photos
NOTE: If you know more facts, feel free to submit them in the comments section!